"I love this book. It is the best on the subject, and at Mars Hill we have hundreds of couples read it each year as their premarital text. The men in Acts 29 also use it in their churches. God, Marriage, and Family is amazing, comprehensive, biblical, helpful, insightful, and without peer on the matters to which it speaks. I have read this book multiple times and am astounded at how much is packed in. I have also read the footnotes multiple times, and they alone are worth twice the price of the book. I am thrilled that God, Marriage, and Family is now updated and expanded and available in a second edition and am happy to endorse this amazing work and highly commend it to you. Read it, and give it to others, and you and they will be richly blessed."
- Mark Driscoll, Founding Pastor, Mars Hill Church, Seattle; President, the Resurgence; President, Acts 29 Church Planting Network
"In breadth of coverage, thoroughness of learning, clarity of analysis and argument and, I think, soundness of judgment, this solid, lucid, pastorally angled treatise has no peer. Evangelicals who research, debate, teach, and counsel on gender, sex, marriage, and family will find it an endlessly useful resource. The easy mastery with which the author threads his way through forty years' special pleadings gives this compendium landmark significance, and I recommend it highly."
- J. I. Packer, Professor of Theology, Regent College
"The special value of this book lies in its pervasive exposition of Scripture. We are adrift in a sea of speculation without this. I am thankful for the book. I plan to give it to my grown children."
- John Piper, Pastor for Preaching and Vision, Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis
"Anything Andreas Kostenberger publishes is worthy of attention. His international education and experience, his teaching career, and his Christian character make him an author to be read with both care and anticipation. You may not agree with all his conclusions, but you'll be better equipped for living and teaching about God, Marriage, and Family. Sensible, balanced, and biblical, this is a sound and timely summary of the Bible's teaching on some of the most basic and yet controversial topics in today's world. I highly recommend it."
- Mark Dever, Pastor, Capitol Hill Baptist Church, Washington DC; President, 9Marks
"If you are looking for just another collection of saccharine clichés about shiny happy Christian families, then you might want to leave this volume on the book-store shelf. In an era when too many Christians listen more intently to television therapists than to the Bible on the question of the family, this could be one of the most significant books you ever read."
- Russell D. Moore, Dean, School of Theology; Senior Vice President for Academic Administration; Associate Professor of Theology and Ethics, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
"The book is wide-ranging and reflects mature judgment in interpreting Scripture and applying it to life. The author does not avoid controversial issues, but in each case he treats the issues fairly with ample explanation of alternative views. This is an excellent book that deserves to be widely used."
- Wayne Grudem, Research Professor of Bible and Theology, Phoenix Seminary, Phoenix, Arizona
"This is a superb book—the work of a gifted exegete whose feet are firmly planted in this world. God, Marriage, and Family addresses the daunting issues facing today's Christians regarding marriage, divorce, remarriage, sexuality, children, contraception, abortion, singleness, sex roles, and leadership with radical biblical fidelity and practicality. If you want the Bible on these questions, this is the book! What a gift to today's church!"
- R. Kent Hughes, Author, Disciplines of a Godly Man; Senior Pastor Emeritus, College Church, Wheaton, Illinois
"This volume should be not only on the shelf of every pastor in this land, but also in the syllabus of every course on marriage and the family taught in Christian colleges and seminaries. The author's careful defense of traditional biblical values relating to family life demands a serious reading, especially by those who do not agree with him."
- Daniel I. Block, Gunther H. Knoedler Professor of Old Testament, Wheaton College
"The Christian looking for a brief, understandable, straightforward, intelligent, faithful presentation of what the Bible says about marriage, family, divorce, remarriage, homosexuality, abortion, birth control, infertility, adoption, and singleness need look no further."
- J. Ligon Duncan, Senior Minister, First Presbyterian Church, Jackson, Mississippi; President, Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals
"While many popular treatments of marriage and the family are available, very few have explored with care and precision Scripture's own teaching on these crucial subjects. Kostenberger does not avoid the hard contemporary issues of gender and sexuality but addresses them with sensitivity combined with keen biblical insight."
- Bruce A. Ware, Professor of Christian Theology, Senior Associate Dean, School of Theology, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
"This volume is a treasure trove of biblical wisdom on matters pertaining to marriage, child-rearing, singleness, and sexuality. As Western society struggles to hold on to its social identity, this study reaffirms God's will for self-understanding and family ties. Readers seeking the whole counsel of God on these matters will find enormous assistance here."
- Robert W. Yarbrough, Associate Professor of New Testament and New Testament Department Chair, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
"The book is especially valuable because it is remarkably clear and comprehensible, while at the same time reflecting deep and responsible research. I consistently found the conclusions to be sound and biblically faithful."
- Thomas R. Schreiner, Professor of New Testament Interpretation, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
"Characterized by exemplary exegetical analysis, Kostenberger's book is a refreshing and welcome addition to the current debate on marriage and the family. This outstanding work will help academicians, pastors, counselors, and anyone who genuinely seeks to understand God's design from a biblical perspective."
- Mary A. Kassian, Professor of Women's Studies, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary; author, Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild