Smooth Stones: Bringing Down the Giant Questions of Apologetics
“Most books on apologetics are too long, too deep, and too complicated. This book has none of these defects. Like its title, it is like a smooth stone from David’s apologetic sling directed right to the mind.”See All
Norman L. Geisler
Distinguished Professor of Apologetics, Veritas Evangelical Seminary, Murrieta, CA
“What a thrill for me to see Joe Coffey, a graduate of our first Centurions Program class, apply the biblical worldview principles we teach at BreakPoint and the Colson Center. In this marvelous little book, Smooth Stones, Joe simply and succinctly lays out the tenets of the Christian faith within the context of the four key life and worldview questions. This is an excellent resource for Christians and non-Christians alike who are seeking the Truth.”See All
founder, Prison Fellowship and the Colson Center for Christian Worldview.
Street-level apologetics for everyday Christians. Because faith in Jesus makes sense. And you don't need an advanced degree to understand why.
This book was written for two reasons:
- First, too many people think believing in Christianity means blind faith, against all evidence, the way a child believes in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy. Nothing could be further from the truth.
- Second, every few years a new book intended to undermine Christianity becomes a best seller and shakes the faith of many. Yet the arguments in these books are rarely compelling.
Jesus likened faith in God to a house built on a foundation. If built on sand, storms of doubt will tear the house apart. But if we build on a solid foundation, we will stand. In these pages, Joe Coffey inspects our foundation - so we can know why we believe, and so we can speak of our faith to others with greater confidence and clarity. The conclusion? The Christian faith is built on a tremendous amount of credible evidence. You don't need to be a scientist, an historian, an archeologist, or a philosopher to understand why belief in Jesus makes perfect sense.
Think of the last time an unbeliever asked you a seemingly unanswerable question as a way of supporting their unbelief. Did you feel thwarted in your attempt to "give an account for the hope that is in you"? Smooth Stones answers six of the toughest of these questions:
- How do you know God exists?
- How can you be sure the Bible is authentic and true?
- If God exists, why is there evil and suffering?
- Doesn't science disprove the Bible?
- Aren't all religions the same?
- How can you be sure the claims of Christ are true?