Why Is There Evil in the World (and So Much of It?) (Big Ten)
Many people argue that the presence of evil in the world is proof that God cannot exist, or if He does exist, cannot be good or all-powerful.
Greg Welty uses biblical exegesis alongside his experience as a philosopher to present a different conclusion. God, the sovereign Creator and Sustainer of the world, really does work all things for good. A must-read for anyone struggling with this issue.
Chapter titles include:
1. What is the Problem of Evil?
2. The Greater-Good Theodicy: A Threefold Argument for Three Biblical Themes
3. Licensing the Greater-Good Theodicy: God's Sovereignty over Evil
4. Limiting the Greater-Good Theodicy: The Inscrutability of God's Purposes
5. Can Free Will or the Laws of Nature Solve the Problem of Evil?
Appendix: Going Beyond Job, Joseph and Jesus for the Greater-Good Theodicy