Listen to an interview with John Ensor entitled Innocent Blood. (Sermon Audio)
The shedding of innocent blood, primarily through abortion, has now marked an entire generation. Yet God's command to defend the innocent is unchanged. We can obey that call.
The gospel of Christ is the gospel of life, and the Christian's defining reality. Yet the shedding of innocent blood, primarily through abortion, has now marked an entire generation. Innocent Blood explores a series of questions so as to reveal vital connections between the gospel and the call to defend the unborn. These questions include:
- What does the Bible mean when it says that “life is in the blood”?
- What does the Bible say about blood-guilt?
- How is it that we are all stained by it and accountable for it even though few of us have taken a human life?
- What remedy does God provide for the guilt of shedding innocent blood?
- What are we to do when confronted with the shedding of innocent blood, and where does our courage to take action come from?
- What is the link between protecting the innocent and proclaiming good news to the guilty?
Not a book on social issues per se, nor a book on missions, Innocent Blood integrates the two and calls us to courageously challenge the powers of death with the gospel of life.
Published September 2011
About the Author
John Ensor is director of urban initiatives for Heartbeat International, an organization for Christian communities establishing pregnancy help centers worldwide. He is currently working with Christian leaders to open five pregnancy help centers in the neediest neighborhoods of Miami, Florida. He has also served as president of A Woman's Concern. John and his wife, Kristen, have three grown children and reside near Boston, Massachusetts.
Browse Other Titles in this Series
Publisher: Cruciform Press
Publication Date: September 2011
ISBN 10: 1936760290
ISBN 13: 9781936760299
“God’s Word tells us to be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks us a reason for the hope within us, and it also tells us that we should do this with gentleness and respect. This book does just that. With decades of experience and true wisdom, John Ensor beautifully shows us how our glorious God delights in our courageous fight for the innocent, and that he commands us to fight, not with the words and weapons of man but with the living and active Gospel of Jesus Christ as we depend on the Holy Spirit to change hearts, renew minds, and protect the innocent—for the sake of the precious innocent of all ages and for the incomparable glory of God for eternity.”
- Burk Parsons, Associate Pastor, Saint Andrew’s; editor, Tabletalk
“Innocent Blood is a powerful indictment of those responsible for the abortion holocaust and those who have not joined in attempts to stop it. The author presents many biblical passages that should constrain our consciences and our actions. There are areas of theology about which sincere Christians can disagree, but this is not one of them. The Scriptures are as clear as they can be that God’s people have the responsibility to stop the shedding of innocent blood.”
- John Frame, Professor of Systematic Theology and Philosophy, Reformed Theological Seminary
“Innocent Blood brings Christians face to face with the horror of abortion and our responsibility to intervene. Better yet, by showing how our activism is to be motivated and fueled by the gospel, Ensor challenges us to devote our lives to magnifying Jesus Christ through seeking justice for the unborn.“
- Trevin Wax, editor, LifeWay Christian Resources; author, Counterfeit Gospels and Holy Subversion,
“Stellar! John Ensor provides a bridge between the defense of innocent human life and the proclamation of the gospel. His concisely worded thesis is theologically grounded, philosophically sound, and gives pastors the tools to engage the culture on the burning moral question of our day. I wholeheartedly recommend this book!”
- Scott Klusendorf, speaker, author, The Case for Life: Equipping Christians to Engage the Culture