The Practice of Confessional Subscription
Hall, David W.
"an unparalleledintegration of scholarship and practical insight"
- Dr. Peter A. Lillback
Publisher's DescriptionA well-researched discussion of holding to confessions as guides.
Essays and Contributors (WTS contributors in bold):
- Introduction: On the Hermeneutics of Subscription - David W. Hall
- Biblical and Pastoral Basis for Creeds and Confessions - Robert S. Rayburn
- Confessional Subscription Among the Sixteenth Century Reformers - Peter A. Lillback
- Subscription in the Dutch Reformed Tradition - W. Robert Godfrey
- Owning the Confession: Subscription in the Scottish Presbyterian Tradition - J. Ligon Duncan
- The Context for the Adopting Act - Luder G. Whitlock, Jr.
- The Constitutional History of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America - Charles Hodge
- Subscription to the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms - George W. Knight III
- The Samuel Hemphill Heresy Case (1735) and the Historic Method of Subscribing to the Westminster Standards - William S. Barker
- The Doctrinal Content of the Confessions - Robert L. Dabney
- The Case for Full Subscription - Morton H. Smith
- A Peaceable Plea about Subscription: Toward Avoiding Future Divisions - James E. Urish
- "Honest Subscription": Old Princeton Seminary and Subscription to the Westminster Standards - David B. Calhoun
- Creed Subscription in the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. - John Murray
- Re-examining the Re-examiners of the Adoption Act - David W. Hall
- The Church's Power: Its Relation to Subscription - T. David Gordon
- Confidence in Our Brethren: Creedal Subscription in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church - John R. Muether
- Practical Benefits and Dangers of Subscriptions - L. Roy Taylor
- Bibliography - James E. Urish & David W. Hall
Editor Information: David W. Hall, Ph.D. is Pastor of the Midway Presbyterian Church in Powder Springs, GA, and Senior Fellow at the Kuyper Institute. He has served as the Executive Editor of PREMISE, and among his other works are The Millennium of Jesus Christ, Savior or Servant? Putting Government in Its Place; Windows on Westminster; Welfare Reformed: A Compassionate Approach, Evangelical Apologetics, and A Manual for Officer Training.
Published June 2001