Luke: Volume II, 9:51-24:53 (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament)
Bock, Darrell L.
“ts comprehensive discussions of the text and its judicious references to contemporary scholarship ensure that both the seminary student and the mature scholar find helpful and fresh material to enhance their understanding of the Gospel.”See All
I. Howard Marshall
University of Aberdeen
“This excellent commentary on the Lucan Gospel is massive, but well written, informative, and judicious. . . . It should be a boon for pastors, priests, seminarians, and all educated general readers interested in the interpretation of the Gospels. Bock has read widely, asks the right questions, and gives a balanced answer in his interpretation of this Gospel.”See All
Joseph A. Fitzmyer
“Each section of the text is addressed from a clearly organized series of perspectives. If there is such a thing as a user–friendly two–volume commentary on a single book, this is it!”See All
Craig L. Blomberg
In the second of two volumes on the Gospel of Luke, Darrell L. Bock offers students of the New Testament a substantive yet highly accessible commentary. With extensive research and thoughtful chapter–by–chapter exegesis, Bock leads readers through all aspects of the third Gospel—sociological, historical, and theological. The result is a guide that clearly and meaningfully brings the first part of this important New Testament book to life for contemporary readers.
Bock’s two volumes on the Gospel of Luke are the inaugural volumes of the acclaimed BECNT series. As with all BECNT volumes, Luke features the author’s own translation of the Greek text, detailed interaction with the original text, and a user–friendly design. This informative, balanced commentary also includes extensive introductory notes. It admirably achieves the dual aims of the series—academic sophistication with pastoral sensitivity and accessibility—making it a useful tool for students, professors, and pastors.
This informative, balanced commentary includes extensive introductory notes and a comprehensive discussion of the text. An outstanding addition to any library.
These two volumes are also sold as a set:
About the Series:
The Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament (BECNT) series provides commentaries that blend scholarly depth with readability, exegetical detail with sensitivity to the whole, and attention to critical problems with theological relevance.:
- All volumes feature the author's detailed interaction with the Greek text and are specifically designed with students and pastors in mind.
- The biblical author's central themes are developed throughout with each exegetical unit being related to the overall development of the biblical book.
- The user-friendly design includes shaded-text chapter introductions summarizing the key themes of each thought unit.
- Chapter outlines and overviews allow easy entry into the discussion and aid comprehension and recall.
- Additional notes comment on unique aspects of a book, problem passages, textual variants, and other critical issues.
Browse other volumes in the Baker Exegetical Commentary Series