Puritan Papers: 1965-1967, Vol 4
Packer, J. I.
The Reformers and the Puritans receive most of the attention in this volume, sixteen papers originally presented at the annual Puritan and Reformed Studies Conferences in London, 1965-1967. Packer, the guiding force behind these conferences, contributes three chapters:
- Martin Luther
- John Owen on communication from God
- the Puritans and spiritual gifts
Other chapters on the Reformation treat
- Zwingli, by D. W. Marshall
- Anabaptists, D. P. Kingdon
- Cranmer, by G. S. R. Cox
- Knox, by S. M. Houghton
- their view of catechisms, by J. Lewis Wilson
- Richard Baxter's Reformed Pastor, buy J. A. Caiger
- Oliver Heywood, by W. H. Davies
Chapters are also devoted to
- “Ecclesiola in Ecclesia”, by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
- Charles Finney, by P. E. G. Cook
- Abraham Kuyper, by Rex Ambler
These conferences, which began in 1956, helped to stir interest in the Puritans among Evangelical in the U.K.
Published February 2004
About the Editor: J. I. Packer (PhD, Oxford University) serves as the Board of Governors’ Professor of Theology at Regent College. He is the author of numerous books, including the classic best-seller Knowing God. Packer served as general editor for the English Standard Version Bible and as theological editor for the ESV Study Bible.